Monday, November 1, 2010

A Jeff Rowe recap

Since so few (of the older group) use the blog -- here is the recap. Will post to the blog (when I figure out how).

(btw, here was yesterday, some pretty riding, great roads http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54885673)
Recap: Big group to start, then split on Woodbury. Steve, Avery, Jeff, Linda, Shaun, Anthony, me. Dom'y had been telling me how Shaun and Steve had been ripping off legs of late. Yesterday, every time I tried to pick up the pace, the group would let me go, and Steve would dutifully and quite easily close the gap (i.e., Steve was riding faster than me). Today, when Shaun went by to take a pull on Woodbury, he set such a frantic pace I was hard pressed just to stay on his wheel. Ouch. I decided to try to avoid having Shaun inflict any more pain by keeping him off the front..., until we got to the climbs. Shaun took all the climbs -- and we did a few -- Snake, Lawrence, Beacon, 25A from the fish hatchery, back of Moore's, Chicken Valley, and I'm sure several others I have forgotten. Or he would calmly sit on my wheel, and try not to embarrass me. I think he even called it the ride of the start/stops today. Linda's bathroom break, Linda's telephone call, my chat with a friend, gaps to regroup... Best moment of the day was Avery. I'm pulling down Chicken Valley, and motion for Shaun to come through on the rt. Avery blows by on the left with a tremendous turn of speed. It looked like the sprint was in the bag. But Avery, after flashing his manly prowess, didn't have the balls to finish the job, and let Shaun, Steve and Anthony back in. I watched it all from the back, feebly pedaling after completely blowing. Second best move was Steve -- he of the, oh, I lost my chain excuse, or the famed Andy Schleck move, whichever you prefer. I don't think Steve realizes chains and tires do indeed wear out, and need to be replaced. Or, you can keep using old, worn, stretched equipment, and trash your rear cassette, and possibly derailleurs, chain rings, etc. $50 or into the thousands. Seems a simple choice, but to each his own. Linda was glad to be along, and hit 6000 miles for the season today -- impressive. Surprised those legs can still turn. And Jeff kindly waited and helped push Linda over the finish to the mileage award of the year. Congrats. Chow.

1 comment:

  1. I went to Brickwell on Tuesday and got a new chain!!! Even better, they replaced it rigt away. Very nice shop. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete