Thursday, December 2, 2010

NY Times piece "A vow to Never Ride Again"


In order to stir up some interesting stories, I thought to post this piece from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/health/nutrition/30best.html?src=me&ref=health

Having crashed not insignificantly twice (ER visits both times - a broken wrist once), I was sort of surprised with myself both times that while recuperating I experienced an overwhelming desire to get back on the bike. One might think that logic would dictate the opposite, but experience is different...



In the summer of 2008, I watched as a car sideswiped one of our riders on Bryant rd in Roslyn, causing him to crash with the other rider in our party. Both heroes got up, got back on their bikes, and continued the ride. And I am pretty sure that was not this rider's first run-in with a four-wheeled vehicle. It's important to note that neither incident was his fault.

I have also heard legendary tails of Rob and his accidents.

All this makes the Times piece even less comprehensible to me. I know it hurts to go down. And none of us wants to. but nor do we throw caution to the wind. The title of my article would sound something like this: "A Vow to Always Get Back on the Bike"

Because I always will.

3 comments:

  1. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
    Facing the fear the first time you get back in the saddle is a great challenge. The butterfly's you get in your stomach as you approach "the spot" never go away but do get dulled over time.

    So who is vowing to ride this weekend? 42/29 degrees.
    Look for a future post on the top 10 reasons why you should be mountain biking.

    Thanks for the post Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps armed with this James Bond bike one would have less to fear from motorists.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqCueUsZ7rg
    (I would post separately but I lack author rights; please add me Brian.)

    PS I am riding this weekend, preferably at the warmest possible moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. let me know when you are riding on Saturday and I will join you. I will probably head out around 9 or 9:30

    ReplyDelete